Looking for Another Site?
You might be here because you have been redirected from one of my old websites, most likely adam.shand.net or spack.org.
Hopefully you will see the article you are looking for below, however not all content from the old sites has been copied across yet.
If you are looking for a particular article please get in touch and I can easily copy it across. Otherwise content will slowly be copied across as I have time.
Thanks for stopping by! — Adam
You can find the results of your search below.
- In the Beginning was the Command Line: 294 Hits
- ces, and world tours. The market for them is vast enough that people worry about whether it has been monopolized by on... set up in a field and organized by consensus. The people who live there are making tanks. These are not old-fashioned, cast-iron Soviet tanks; these are ... more accessible to a less technical audience--if not for altruistic reasons, then because those sorts of people constituted an incomparably vaster market. It was... urrent successors, Windows 95 and Windows NT, are not things that people would pay money to look at either. Microsoft's co
- Favourite Quotes: 201 Hits
- all message of hope, that first, there are always people who dare to seek on the margin of society, who are not dependent on social acceptance, not dependent on ... armed with compassion and understanding, we fight not against other people, but against the tendency to invade, to dominate,... ially true when you begin to write, when you have not yet developed the tricks of interesting people on paper, when you have none of the technique whi... r income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown or
- Logical Rudeness: 146 Hits
- ce of insolence that "civilized" and "reasonable" people will not stoop to use.
A related reflexivity is the self-... ugh it rests on the slender theoretical reed that people are ruled, not by what is real, but by their belief about what i... ct according to rules which ordinary citizens are not allowed to know or to criticize. These meta-rules... sonment and other forms of violence, but for most people most of the time they are enforced by social pres
- The Tyranny of Structurelessness: 136 Hits
- make available some means of attacking it if the people involved are not at least responsible to the needs of the group at... l is well known or not known at all. Notoriety is not a definition of an elitist. The most insidious elites are usually run by people not known to the larger public at all. Intelligent elitists are usually smart enough not to allow themselves to become well known; when they become known, they are watched, and the ma... eir power is no longer firmly lodged.
Elites are not conspiracies. Very seldom does a small group of people get together and deliberately try to take over a
- Valve Handbook for New Employees: 126 Hits
- oney back into each employee’s pocket. Valve does not win if you’re paid less than the value you create. And people who work here ultimately don’t win if they get pa... /product group is asked to rank its own members. (People are not asked to rank themselves, so we split groups into... group contribution score, but being a leader does not impart or guarantee a higher stack rank. It is just a role that people adopt from time to time.
- **Product Contributi... urse work, mentor assignment), because for senior people it’s mostly not effective. We believe that high-performance peopl
- A Group is its Own Worst Enemy: 102 Hits
- pammer, I'm going to mail things out to a million people, but they're not going to be talking to one another, and I'm not going to be talking to them -- spam is email, but... sts that there's a platform there that is letting people do some really interesting things really quickly. It's not that you couldn't have built a similar applicatio... g Hats."
So they created this three-tier system, not dissimilar to the tiers of anonymous cowards, logged-in users, and people with high karma on Slashdot. But because Usenet d... inearizable, and they're not portable.
There are people who cheat on their spouse but not at cards, and vice versa, and both and neither. R
- Confessions of a Recovering Environmentalist: 71 Hits
- nd America.
What this adds up to should be clear enough, yet many people who should know better choose not to see it. This is business-as-usual: the expansi... ays seemed that most of what mattered to me could not be counted or corralled by the kind of people who thought, and still think, that I just needed ... staining a global human population of ten billion people was not a problem at all, and anyone who suggested otherwise was not highlighting any obvious ecological crunch points... ields at dawn. It is not about ecocentrism. It is not about reforging a connection between over-civilised people and the world outside their windows. It is not ab
- The Lizard, the Catacombs and the Clock: 67 Hits
- of the tunnel read, “No public entry.” Police are not the
public; they entered. Their headlamps flashed... arved into the stone itself, with
room for twenty people to sit in the cool and chomp on popcorn.
On the ... its
subterranean screening society.
However, the people responsible for the cinema under the
Trocadéro, a place they dubbed the Arènes de Chaillot, are not quite
any of these things. “We are the counterpoi
- Secrets Of The Little Blue Box: 65 Hits
- emonstrations which convinced him the Captain was not speaking idly. "I think it might take more than three people, depending on how many machines like Captain Crun... s this line hot? I just heard someone tap in. I'm not paranoid, but I can detect things like that. Well... his tormentor has finally gone to sleep -- "He's not blind drunk, that's the way I get, ahem, yes; but... living room with their sighted children. They are not sure exactly what Ralph and his friends do with t
- In Praise Of Idleness: 57 Hits
- ildren added their labor as soon as they were old enough to do so. The small surplus above bare necessaries was not left to those who produced it, but was appropriat... st be admitted, but to this extent only.
I shall not dwell upon the fact that, in all modern societies outside the USSR, many people escape even this minimum amount of work, namely a... inherit money and all those who marry money. I do not think the fact that these people are allowed to be idle is nearly so harmful as th... eariness, and dyspepsia. The work exacted will be enough to make leisure delightful, but not enough to produce exhaustion. Since men will not
- The Inner Ring: 55 Hits
- As for the Flesh, you must be very abnormal young people if you do not know quite as much about it as I do. But on the W... hey and So-and-so and the two others are the only people left in the place who really know how things are run. But it is not quite true. It is a terrible bore, of course, whe... actual workings. If the wisest and most energetic people held the highest spots, it might coincide; since they often do not, there must be people in high positions who are r... ans coincide with the Inner Ring or the Important People or the People in the Know. It will not shape that professional policy or work up that pr
- As We May Think: 50 Hits
- h remarkably generous support for his time, could not produce his great arithmetical machine. His idea was sound enough, but construction and maintenance costs were then... in a moving van. Mere compression, of course, is not enough; one needs not only to make and store a record but also be able to consult it, and this aspect of the ... ter comes later. Even the modern great library is not generally consulted; it is nibbled at by a few.
- Dark Night: The Breakdown of the Mythology of Me: 50 Hits
- ther. Given that therapy is the most common place people reach for help in darkness, it is vital that psyc... that means. However, many spiritual teachers are not available on a regular basis, nor are all willing... absolute (such as “you are awareness” or “you are not the body”) can be of limited value in addressing ... ugh the dark night and out the other side, I have not met one who would have traded the experience and
- Keynote Address at the "Eleventh World Conference on Gifted and Talented Children": 45 Hits
- rmal" and we know it; it can be fun sometimes but not funny always. We tend to be much more sensitive than other people. Multiple meanings, innuendos, and self-conscious... tty Maxwell says, and a
moral imperative. This is not to say that gifted children are always truthful. But many gifted people, particularly
the profoundly gifted, have a passi... (Silverman, 1993b).
Significant differences are not simply statistical artifacts; the life experience... occurs at both extremes of the IQ continuum, but not at the
same degree of difference. It tends to occ
- This is Water: 41 Hits
- Marriage and Love: 40 Hits
- Wireless Commons Signatories: 32 Hits
- Beat Zen, Square Zen and Zen: 31 Hits
- All About Immigrating to New Zealand: 29 Hits
- Food And Permaculture: 27 Hits
- The Man Who Planted Trees: 25 Hits
- The Users Guide To Steampunk: 20 Hits
- Listen, Little Man! Reflections one dark morning: 19 Hits
- The Old Bastard's Manifesto: 17 Hits
- Ted: A Choice Point: 16 Hits
- Sleep Jerk to Piss Shivers – Weird Body Mysteries: 14 Hits
- Integrating Apple OSX Clients with an OpenLDAP Directory: 13 Hits
- Apache Tips and Tricks: 10 Hits
- Ship Of Fools: 9 Hits
- Integrating Active Directory With Apache: 5 Hits
- Two People Walked: 5 Hits
- Testimonials: 5 Hits
- Getting SpamAssassin to Trust Authenticated SMTP Clients: 4 Hits